Welcome to Like Mother Like Daughter, a parenting and lifestyle blog for the imperfect parent.
My name is Vanessa and I am a wife, mother, daughter, school counsellor by day, blogger/writer by night (or by nap time) and an eternal lover of the written word.
Reading and writing have played prominent roles throughout every stage of my thirty-plus years. In my younger years I journalled and wrote informally, mainly to express teenage angst; in my 20s I wrote primarily as a method of procrastination from research papers; now in my 30s I write because I am both compelled and inspired.
At Like Mother Like Daughter you will read about the chaos and the beauty of motherhood and all that it entails. You will read about experiments (mostly meagre attempts and epic failures) in the kitchen, adventures in fitness, and my favourite books and movies. I also love writing about hot topics in the media, travelling with a young family, and about products that I simply cannot live without.
Speaking of things I cannot live without, my children are hands-down my favourite writing topics. At ages three months and two years old, my two littles not only provide me with constant writing material, they inspire me to be a better writer, and this has resulted in my articles being published in various online magazines.
Like Mother Like Daughter was born out of a need for a creative outlet, and has since become a supportive community for imperfect parents and for people who have a sense of humour about life in general. My own mom appears in Like Mother Like Daughter every month in our ‘favourites’ posts. Both she and my daughter are the inspiration for the title of this blog, and my mom’s passion for the written word and talent for wordsmithing make her the bar I measure myself against.
When I am not blogging or running after my toddler, you can usually find me watching unhealthy amounts of tv, attempting to read a paragraph or two of a good book, creeping on social media, or standing impatiently by my coffee machine as it fills its tenth cup of the day. I am definitely not cleaning. Sometimes I look at cookbooks, but mostly for the pictures.
I am fuelled by optimism, by the joy I feel watching my little family, and by the love I have for the written word.
The Evolution of This Writer
- I am 10 years old, I am on a family road trip, and my dad is asking me to “take my nose out of my book and look at the scenery!”
- I am 13 years old, having a sleepover with a friend, and we spend hours writing poems about our ‘true loves’.
- I am 20 years old, with a broken heart, and I am journalling with tears pouring down my face.
- I am 27 years old, a procrastinating Masters student, and I start my first blog.
- I am 30 years old, a recent newlywed, and I start my second blog as an ode to the little girl growing in me and due to enter the world any day.
- I am 32 years old, I have a baby in my arms and a toddler at my feet and I am writing an article for my favourite online magazine.
At Like Mother Like Daughter, we are a community of imperfect parents, which means that your opinion and input is important! Please let us know of any topics that you would like us to write about, or products that you are interested in having us review, or just leave a message to introduce yourself!
Interested in working together? Check out my partnership opportunities page (coming soon) to learn more!